Empowered Women Of Achievement Award 2012

This photo was added to the cover of Vanity
magazine along with the other Awardee.

Photoshop is an amazing tool. They placed
all of us to look like we were all in the photo
shoot together.
I feel truly honored to have been one of a select group of women chosen to receive the Empowered Women Of Achievement Award 2012. The event is organized by an independent group of Filipino artists and fashion designers. The first gown designed for me, sight unseen, was truly remarkable. But then you be the judge.

Photos taken by Toné McGuire. He made the photo shoot so fun and brought out the best in me. It's so different to work with a photographer who gives you feedback and direction.

Hair and makeup by David's Salon on Rizal Ave., Puerto Princesa City, gown by Goullee Gorospe, location: Hotel Centro, PPC, Palawan.

Click any photo on this page to enlarge.
There will be an actual Award Dinner this coming Dec. 15th in Manila. I am hoping I can re-arrange my schedule so that we can attend!
Many thanks to the panel of judges for choosing me along with all the other remarkable women on the magazine cover, who I am looking forward to meeting!


What is amusing to me is my placement on the magazine cover. I am probably the shortest lady there at 4'10" ! The gown was at least a foot too long. I am actually standing on the stair above the bottom of the skirt. Postulating that my legs were on the lower step, it would truly seem to the viewer that I must be a long legged gal. It just goes to show you not to always believe what you see.  I am thrilled about it, as for once in my life, I see what I might have looked like taller.

The occassion of me being invited was through Facebook initially, then through cell texting. I have not yet met the organizer nor the designers!  They asked for my measurements and designed the beautiful gown around that. It was then sent by overnight courier from Manila to me, where I live on beautiful the island of Palawan.

Cleavage courtesy of Nubra adhesive,
strapless bra cups!
Although the gown was so clasic with the tulip skirt, it was actually about 4 inches too tight in the back and wouldn't even begin to close. My 86 year old angelic mother, sewed ribbons on the back so that they could be tied to keep the top from falling off me.

Thanks mom, what would I do without you?  And while I am on mom, I wouldn't be the woman (a senior citizen now at that) I am today without her. Her loving support all my life gave me the strength I needed when I was feeling in the depths of despair. The fact is, that I have stellar parents without whom none of this would be possible. They have been my pillar of strength, inspirations, my heroes. It is remarkable to grow old with both parents and I am eternally grateful.

It has not always been an easy road to follow, learning online e-commerce, as well as trying to learn new sustainable ways to re-use, reycle, harvest rain and eventually grow our own vegetables in our personal lives. Since we live in the countryside now, with a nice slice of Mother earth to tend to and nurture, I am excited about learning to grow vegetables in a controlled greenhouse using aeropinic and vertical growing techniques. We are already supplying night lights via solar charged batteries and are starting to harvest rain to preserve the well water so as not to drain it.  The island of Cebu has been a big lesson to me in preserving water, as they already import most of their potable water since their watersheds have not been properly managed.
Our temporary loft apartment above
our workshop. One of these days we will
get the energy to build the master
cottage. In the meantime, rest, relax
and enjoy the clean air and
ubiquitous green vegetation
everywhere I look.

I never tire of learning new things and I hope that more people will always be curious about our world and try to nurture and sustain it in their way as well. It is a beautiful mother, our Earth, and we each must do what we can to preserve it's natural beauty for our children to enjoy and the generations after them.  Each of  us is responsible for the dire conditions our poor earth is in.

On a lighter note, it's so fun to be able to play dress up. Living in the countryside as I do. most of the time it's practical clothing, cool and comfortable and not glamorous at all. Yet as fun the occasions are to dress up, I so adore my bohemian lifestyle now in our native abode on this gorgeous, pristine island of Palawan.
Empowered Women of Achievement Awards in Philippine National Inquirer Lifestyle section Dec 9, 2011

Gown by Goulee Gorospe


Check out my personal website for more events and information.










Comments

Anonymous said…
im coming, and it's my firstime what should we wear?

Popular posts from this blog

One Amazing Wedding- Singson- Michael - Jan. 4, 2010

How MCTV15- Channel 15 Started

Most Inspiring Batangueño Entrepreneur Award